Elaine White's Life in Books

The Reviewer

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

Hesitant Heart

Hesitant Heart - Morticia Knight Book – Hesitant Heart (The Hampton Road Club #1)
Author – Morticia Knight
Star rating - ★★★★★
No. of Pages – 174

Cover – Nice!
POV – 3rd person, dual POV
Would I read it again – Yes!

Genre – LGBT, BDSM, Romance, 1920's

** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK, BY TOTALLY BOUND, IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW **
Reviewed for Divine Magazine

Warnings: BDSM elements (spanking, obedience, club, pain play), Rent Boys, Homophobia, Parental abuse

Wow!

Now, normally I'd have at least 2 dozen notes and highlights from reading to use as my review. Not in this case. Why? Because I was so engrossed from page one that I didn't want to stop, not even to make notes or make out great quotes. Once I delved into the belly of the beast, I couldn't tear my eyes away.

Quite simply, there was nothing I didn't love about this book.

The historical accuracy of the 1920's lifestyle for gay men was so well explored and explained that even if I hadn't already known how dangerous and hard it was for gay men to live their lives in that time, I would have understood the risks from the story. It was never over-emphasised or exaggerated, but stated in that simple, tolerated way that all gay men had to tolerate the laws and rules of modern living back then.

As for characters, I quickly fell in love with both Sam and Aaron. Together, they weer magnificent and beautiful. Separately, Sam was so innocent and adorable, naive but so willing to learn; Aaron was strong, but gentle and so ready to lead Sam into this unknown world at a pace he deserved. The way they let each other get used to their lifestyle, to the lessons and the changes in their relationship was wonderful. Right from the start, the chemistry was palpable, but beyond that – and most importantly – they communicated, loved each other and openly participated in every aspect of their relationship as equals!

One of the best BDSM novels I've read. Ever.

From the writing to the characterisation, to the pulse-racing anticipation, it was perfection from beginning to end.

“As Aaron descended on him, Sam held his breath. He'd yearned to share a kiss with a man for so long, he thought he might faint from anticipation.” ~ You and me both, Sam. You and me both.