Elaine White's Life in Books

Thirty-One Days and Legos - S.A. Stovall Book 2: Thirty-One Days and Legos
POV: person, character
Star rating - ★★★★★
Length: 57 pages

Damn! I didn't think Carter and Owen's story could get any better, but this one knocked it out the park (excuse the pun!). Not only did it have all the Christmas cheer and chaos of a real family, but it handled the issues of fostering, suicide and foster care with delicacy and respect.

Carter was just as humbug as I hoped, while the boys really helped brighten up his life. Owen was a shining star of Christmas fun and perfectly balanced the chaos and snark of Carter's POV. They worked together as a couple, as a family, and as individuals, in a way that not all books – especially of this length – can manage.

I loved every minute!

~

Favourite Quote

“Owen loves Christmas to a disturbing degree. If Christmas were a person, Owen would have an affair with it, there's no doubt in my mind.”

““Are you being optimistic?” Owen turns around and faces me, his jovial mood returning in full force. “Carter, I rely on you to tell me the harsh, jaded truth of the world. You can't go switching roles with me.””

~

OVERALL

Both books were a joy to read. Perfect for sitting in front of a fire, snow falling outside, a cup of hot chocolate in hand, while enjoying the peace and quiet of a Christmas month. I know the second story says it can be read as a standalone, but I had to say that you get the best sense of Christmas warmth by reading both, one after the other. You have to read them together to really understand Carter and the growth he went through, adjusting from Tiny Tim's arrival in his life to having a cat called Legos. You have to read it to believe it.