Elaine White's Life in Books

The Reviewer

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love

Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love - Sarah Vaughn, Lan Medina Book – Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love
Author – Sarah Vaughn
Star rating - ★★★★★
No. of Pages – 162
Cover – Gorgeous, Creepy
Genre – Graphic Novel, Comic, Paranormal

** COPY RECEIVED THROUGH NETGALLEY **

Now, disclosure time – I'm new to the whole 'Deadman' concept. I'm going into this blind, because I love a good gothic story and I was intrigued by the blurb.

I've got to say, I was drawn in from page one. Berenice is such an interesting character. Not just her gift of seeing the undead/unseen/ghosts whatever it is that she sees. But she's interesting in a relateable way, that says she's just another ordinary person who has been such into this extraordinary world from birth.

I love the graphics. The illustrations are both old-school gothic and classic comic modern at the same time. It's a great combination that is easy on the eye, despite the images having that gritty, grainy look that is so perfect for the genre.

I really loved the whole LGBT acceptance sub-plot that was so awesome. Not only is Berenice bisexual, having had a girlfriend in the past and a current boyfriend, but her best friend Sam is non-binary and an awesome POC with a big role to play and a fun, quirky personality. I was suspicious of Nathan and his “secret” study all along, but I can't say I hated him as much as didn't like him much.

I love the way it all panned out and how there's possibility for not just more from Berenice and Sam, but also more from Deadman, Boston, himself. I'd be happy to read more from both in the future.

Favourite Quote:

“Ah, Sam uses theythem pronouns. They're non-binary, not a woman or a man. Just awesome.”