Elaine White's Life in Books

Star rating - ★★★★★
No. of Pages – 60
Cover – Gorgeous!
POV – 1st person, one character
Would I read it again – YES!
Genre – LGBT, Fairytale, Paranormal, Magic, Fantasy

** COPY RECEIVED THROUGH NETGALLEY **

Wow! I loved this one. It was just...ugh...so brilliant.

Okay, so at first I was really confused, because the blurb makes it sound like we follow Alex straight from being cursed right through to finding his ex and being a cat, but that's not what happens at all. The story starts with Alex already having been a cat for three years and maintaining a human life virtually, while living a cat life in reality.

The way that Alex continues his reclusive writing career is great. I did doubt why he had to type on letter at a time, however, when the first page shows us that he can send a text with lots of words in the space of less than a minute, which I presume means that he has speech-to-text. And I kind of wonder why he didn't use that for writing, but that's a little niggle that isn't that important.

I absolutely loved the chemistry between Alex and Ethan and how they were like an old married couple. The way Ethan took care of him – at the vet, within their life and meeting all of his emotional needs – was beautiful. It was obvious right from the beginning that Ethan seriously loved Alex in all the ways that mattered.

There were some seriously emotional parts where I cried over Alex telling the story of how he became a cat and how he thought he was an awful boyfriend to Ethan, then when Ethan talked about why they broke up. There were some truly heart-tugging moments that I loved and some parts where the banter between the pair was just so normal and reminiscent of two people who knew each other inside and out that it was just beautiful. I even loved Alex's sarcastic nature and the snark he let loose so often. Even the fight with the crow was kind of hilarious.

Overall, I just loved everything about it. The slow telling of the story through dialogue and Alex's thoughts, the talk Alex had with Hakin and the way that he put his own needs and wants aside to try to give Ethan a full, happy life. The ending was especially perfect and I'll happily read it again when I need a pick me up read.

~

Favourite Quote

““Lay off man, one wink doesn't make me engaged to him or anything. Maybe he had something in his eye. Like me. How do you shed so much?”
“I just want to share my fluffy love with the world. It's a gift that I mostly limit to you.””

“On the internet, no one knows you're a cat. No one knows anything about you at all. They don't know how quiet you house is because no one else is home. They don't know how long you've already spent pacing, wondering, waiting. They don't know that your heart is breaking.”