Elaine White's Life in Books

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

The Devil You Know by Camilla Quinn
The Devil You Know by Camilla Quinn

Tom used to be a lot of things: assassin, interrogator, sadist. But for the past decade he's worked on being a better person, a good father to his loving daughter. But for a man with his past, a bullet is the only end he can expect—he just hopes his daughter will survive the inevitable fallout.

Doro has no illusions about himself: provocateur, infiltrator, killer. Even though he's one of the youngest assets the Vaylen Crime Family puts in the field, he's skilled and eager to prove himself.

After years of civil war, the Family has finally settled, and their leader wants to tie up loose ends. That includes sending Doro to get rid of the only man to ever walk away from the Family, the man once known as The Devil.

~

REVIEW

Book – The Devil You Know
Author – Camilla Quinn
Star rating - ★★★★★
No. of Pages – 91
Cover – Creepy!
POV – 3rd person, multi-POV, present tense
Would I read it again – Yes!
Genre – LGBT, Assassin, Contemporary
Content Warning – memories of violence, kidnap, torture, dissociative identity disorder

** COPY RECEIVED THROUGH NETGALLEY **

This was a refreshing and original take on the whole assassin/mafia enforcer theme.

Present tense is usually not my friend, but I really liked how it was used here to provide a more intimate view of the personalities at play. The characters were both real and slightly typical of the mafia genre, well developed and explored, without any kind of info dump for back stories. I loved the father/daughter dynamics between Tom and Jessie; the chemistry between Tom/the Devil and Doro. The POV was split between all of the main characters – Tom and his split personality, the Devil; Jessie; and Doro. They all got to show their own thoughts and experiences, which really helped explore the delicate dynamics between them all. It also helped with the isolation of the location, making the story much more character and plot focused. I particularly loved the bit about using Christmas music as torture.

Overall, it was a great exploration of the genre, with originality and great characters. I'd love to read more with these characters, but I also really love the perfectly ambiguous and HFN ending.

~

Favourite Quote

“His instructors used to speak of this man, spun of flames and nightmares. They spoke of his violence, his ingenuity, his insight. He used to think they exaggerated.
As he drifts into the darkness, he realized they did not.”

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37487095-the-devil-you-know