Elaine White's Life in Books

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

Facts About Me: Best Movie Ending

So, there's a debate on Twitter about #bestmovieending

For me? West Side Story. I've loved that movie for most of my life, and that final scene has always killed me, every single time I watch it.

Everything about the lead up to those last ten minutes is gut-wrenching, with Maria holding Tony as the two gangs stand there, realising what they've done. But then Maria says:

"You all killed him and my brother and Riff. Not with guns or bullets, but with hate. Well, I can kill too, because I have hate."

It has to be one of the most profound and relevant moments in movie history.

That movie taught me so much about life, about the world, and about how good people with nothing better to do could get caught up in something they don't understand. How one act can change the course of a life forever.

Natalie Wood was stunning, nailing the acting and the emotion of the role. And the movie still holds up today, challenging the same issues that we're still dealing with in the world. The best thing about it is that it challenged this concept of Romeo and Juliet, that she couldn't live without him. And though Maria talked about how there might be one bullet left for her, she didn't do it. She knew Tony didn't want that. That she had a family and friends and a life to live. She went on, so that he would never be forgotten and so that she could help change the hate that had taken over her streets. That is a true inspiration.

P.S. On the soundtrack, there is actually one track that is the whole last scene. With gentle music, then Marie shouting for Tony, and Tony getting shot. Right there, on the track. I used to cry just listening to that one track, never mind watching the movie.