Elaine White's Life in Books

The Reviewer

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

Facts About Me: Project-Get It Done

As a reader and writer, I'm always facing some deadline or other. I don't always make them. My worst failures are not completing my Netgalley list (which is now at 300+ books) in a timely manner, and not finishing my Devereaux Case Files series. The latter is especially frustrating because I have books 1-9 complete, with book 10 started, and I haven't touched book 10 in 5 years, even though it's the last book in the series.

Now, though, I have different plans for that series, so it's not so awful.

My Netgalley list...well, there's no accounting for that. At first, there were just too many good books and not enough time. Then I spend nearly 6 months either sick myself or with family having serious medical issues. That was unavoidable. The other 6 months that I could have spent catching up were an especially amazing writing-sprint for me, that I just couldn't, as an author, ignore.

But, I have plans. I always have plans, I know. But these are plans in writing.

Does that make a difference?

Well, to me it does. I'm a list maker. And I can't abide having a list with things that aren't complete. But, I also can't abide having a list with a mess of crosses, marks, and notes on it, so I rewrite my lists often, to remind myself of what I've completed and what I haven't. The two best resources I've found are: Spreadsheets in OpenOffice, and Wunderlist, which is amazing.

Wunderlist ~ I find this amazing for a few reasons:

• I can make numerous lists, which can have numerous items on them.
  • I can make folders, to bundle together appropriate lists which can be minimised or maximised to keep things neat.
  • I can send my lists to my e-mail!! I can even give access to other people, by adding their e-mail address to an approved list. Or I can save it to an online storage account.
  • You can not only sort your lists alphabetically or by creation date, but you can also move them manually, by pressing and holding then dragging them into position. Great for those last minute changes.
  • the whole point of the list is that it's on-the-go and that no matter how many versions you have (phone, tablet, laptop) it will sync between all of them. I can carry it around on my phone or tablet, in my bag, or I can sit at my laptop working and make adjustments when necessary.
  • there's also the accessory factor - it comes with various backgrounds that you can choose, but I prefer to keep things clean and simple with a black wooden board style.

~

Spreadsheet ~ my favourite functions are:

• sorting. I sort in a dozen different ways, and I never end up with jumbled information or incorrect formatting.
  • highlighting is so helpful for those "urgent" tasks, and you can see it at a glance.
  • the options are endless: being able to add/delete columns, rows; moving information with a simple copy/paste; and being able to print it all at the touch of a button.

~

This year - 2018/2019 - I plan to hold myself far more accountable for my time. I've taken a lot of time away from my Netgalley list to get a mountain load of writing done, but that means that one of my tasks had totally fallen by the wayside. For the next year, I'm doing something radical - moderating my time.

It might sound simple and logical, because it is, but I've never been someone who works to a timeline, a deadline or a schedule. I'm a pantser for a reason.

This past month, I've taken on the arduous task of filing through ALL of my books - from paperback, Kindle purchases, Kobo buys, all my e-books, and all of my Netgalley books - to create a list that includes them ALL. I even went through and read the blurbs of all my Amazon buys, to make sure that I really wanted to keep them, because I was an obsessive one-clicker for freebies back when I got my first Kindle. I managed to delete over 2000 books between those on my Kindle and my hard drive, from other suppliers. After that, I wrote them ALL into a spreadsheet - title, series, page count/word count. I have a tick column for those I've read, and one tick column for my Netgalley approved books, to keep them visible.

My next task is to actually read them. One by one, I plan to work my way through what has become 4017 books. Considering some of them are series of 20+ books, that's not so bad. At least if I don't like the series, I can avoid reading the next 15 books. lol. Obviously, I won't be reading them all in one year, but if I can manage to read nearly 300 books a year, it should only take 13 years to read them...*sigh*

Wish me luck!