elainewhite359

Elaine White's Life in Books

I love reading, and as a writer I like to broaden my scope by reading outside of my comfort zone, so that I can learn more about my craft.

Baron of Blood: 1 (Dawning Era Series)
C. N. Faust
All Our Foolish Schemes: The Creepers Saga Book 2
Raymond Esposito
Fright Radio
Noel Dandes
A Dark Heart (The Elders and Welders Chronicles)
Margaret Foxe
Prince of Hearts: The Elders and Welders Chronicles Bk. 1
Margaret Foxe
Young Love Murder (Young Assassins 1)
April Brookshire
Before the Full Moon Rises: 1 (Chronicles of the Secret Prince)
MJ Bell
Once Upon a Darker Time
M.J. Bell
Guardian of Souls
Lee Appleby
In the Beginning
Abby L. Vandiver

The Dragon's Disciples: 1 (The Age of Waking Death)

The Dragon's Disciples: 1 (The Age of Waking Death) - C. N. Faust Book – The Dragon's Disciples (Book 1, Age of Waking Death)
Author – C.N. Faust
Star rating - ★★★★★
Would I read it again – Yes.
Plot – well written, good imagery/expression
Characters – nicely explored, unique, interesting
Movie Potential - ★★★★★
Ease of reading – easy

**I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK, BY THE AUTHOR, IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW**

First off, I loved this book. The covers are great artwork, that really nicely express the book and it's imagery. Secondly, this book was simple, elegant and well written. The plot was easy to follow, nicely intricate and the web of mystery and secrets kept me guessing.

There was one thing I truly hated about this book – The End.

I came to the last line, just about crying as I read it, and the BOOM! It's over. I couldn't believe it. I literally lay in my bed, at 3am screaming inside my head “Noooo!!!! You can't do this to me!”. Needless to say, I was gutted. But I just know that I'm going devour book 2 because of it.

I have to come clean and confess that I'm totally in love with Pharun and Felix equally. The two of them were just magnetic for me. Whenever I was reading about one of the other characters, I was always thinking in the back of my mind, wondering where they were and what they were doing. In a chat with the author, he revealed (in the interview posted a few days ago) that if this book was ever made into a movie, then Pharun would be played by Jesse Williams (our very own Jackson Avery from Grey's Anatomy) and Felix would be Jared Leto (30 Seconds to Mars rock star and movie actor from Urban Legend). I think this only makes me love them even more. They seem like the perfect people to play these angst ridden roles.

To being with, this book is about Vampires, Wizards, Priests and Gods. Not a group that would normally be put together into the one story. But C.N. does this beautifully and skillfully. The characters have real meat to them, the plot drives a long, not too fast but not too slow either, and you would be mistaken to think that there's ever really going to be a Happily Ever After. Whether you like every character or not, you are going to feel for them in some way or another and when their end comes, in whatever form, at some point you're going to feel someone was cheated out of their HEA. But the whole time you're going to love the roller coaster ride of emotions and the mystery that keeps your heart pounding.

And might I just put a word in for the Heretic's Fork. I think the use of the medieval torture tool was amazingly done. Not only is the Heretic's Fork a real item used in Medieval times, but the way the writer adds it to the story adds real meat to the event, but it also sounds like they've come up with this ingenious torture tool themselves. It's one of those moments when you feel the real evil of a character, when you see the true genius of the writer, and the whole time all you're really thinking about is the great plot line and finding out what happens next.

I can honestly say that this book was unputdownable. The minute I started reading, it was a battle to stay awake as it took me early into the morning. I just didn't want to stop reading.

The book reads like an alternate world A Song of Ice and Fire, without trying to be anything like it. The concept is unique and I've personally never seen it done before. There are the typical relationship issues with the main family, the Royal Vampires, that you see within ASOIAF. There are a few incestuous relationships and half-brother/half-sister relationships that seem a little mirky. But they're written so well and given real background that you understand why they're there and how the relationships actually affect the main characters and their decisions. Even when it comes to creepy High Priest Mahlii. *shivers*

I'm very interested to find out how the characters evolve in the second book. Some, in particular, are still quite mysterious at the end of the first, and I'm looking forward to getting to see more of them and finding out their real purpose.

I won't give away spoilers, but there is an event that happens for Pharun near the end of the book and all I can say is that I literally let out a sigh of relief and thought “Finally!”. He is by far my favourite character and whatever makes him happy, makes me very happy. Especially when it creates the situation in the last page of the book. I really don't mind crying at a story, in fact, it cements the whole thing in my heart and this is by far, one of my favourite books of 2013.

Overall, The Dragon's Disciples is a highly original story with a plot full of mystery, suspence and intrigue, with a dollop of romance and emotional torture thrown in. Once you pick it up, get comfortable, because you won't want to put it down again. 5 stars. I'd give it 7, if I could.