Elaine White's Life in Books

The Author

The Reviewer

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) - M.C. Beaton It was very slow to take off. I didn't like Agatha as a person from start to finish, though there were a few shining moments when she became human.

I thought this book was based on a great idea which wasn't explored to its best. There was a lot, I feel, of filling out of the story at the beginning, as with Roy's visits and personality quirks, which were unnecessary but might become more apparent later in the series. Who knows.

I liked the idea of the quiche, the death and how she came to solve it. I liked the idea of a PR woman retiring to the Cotswolds and finding it difficult. For me though, it took too long to get into the story. I like to be drawn in almost instantly to the life and feelings of the person, as if stepping into a story that's always running. Agatha's story felt stagnated at the beginning and then struggled to keep me captivated.

The main reason I finished this, was to give it a real go, in hope of it improving and to find out who the murderer was. It was obvious, but then again, so can Agatha Christie be obvious, so that in itself isn't too bad. Overall, not really for me. A friend recommended it and loved it, so eventually, I might give book 2 a go to see if it improves but it's not likely to be my first choice.