elainewhite359

Elaine White's Life in Books

I love reading, and as a writer I like to broaden my scope by reading outside of my comfort zone, so that I can learn more about my craft.

Baron of Blood: 1 (Dawning Era Series)
C. N. Faust
All Our Foolish Schemes: The Creepers Saga Book 2
Raymond Esposito
Fright Radio
Noel Dandes
A Dark Heart (The Elders and Welders Chronicles)
Margaret Foxe
Prince of Hearts: The Elders and Welders Chronicles Bk. 1
Margaret Foxe
Young Love Murder (Young Assassins 1)
April Brookshire
Before the Full Moon Rises: 1 (Chronicles of the Secret Prince)
MJ Bell

Beyond the Eyes (Volume 1) - Rebekkah Ford

Author – Rebekkah Ford
Star rating – ★★★★★
Would I read it again – Yes! Definitely
Plot – excellent, unique and well developed
Characters – funny, intriguing, unique and talented
Movie Potential – ★★★★★
Ease of reading – very easy to read.

** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK BY THE PUBLISHER, IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW **

First of all, let me just say that this book has an amazing, beautiful cover. I was a little hesitant to start reading this story at first, because the cover had me convinced it was going to be really creepy, and I always do my reading before bed. I put it off for a few days, sure that it would give me nightmares. But, I was pleasantly surprised when I opened it up. The cover still accurately represented what goes on in the story, but it isn’t nearly as scary as I thought. Creepy, yes. Intriguing, yes. Scared-out-of-my-wits-terrifying, no. Thankfully.

Secondly, something really odd happened to me while I was reading this book. No, nothing supernatural, nothing freaky or awkward. It has to do with my eyesight. Somewhere in my reading, I magically lost the heading for Chapter 2 (and many more chapters after that). I started reading the book late on, after having a lot of things to finish up first. I sat down, planning to only read Chapter 1 until I had more time. Somehow, the next thing I knew, I was looking at Chapter 3 and I had been so engrossed in the story that I completely never noticed Chapter 2′s heading passing me by. That, to me, is the mark of a great book. If I can lose track of time, forget how late it is and not notice a chapter break, then the story has to be pretty great.

And that was just the first few chapters.

So let’s get into what I liked about this book. First of all, I completely love the main character Paige. She’s funny, insightful and sweet, but she’s not one of those perfect girl’s you see so often in YA novels. She’s not perfect. She’s an ordinary teenage girl, with flaws and insecurities, just like the rest of us. To be quite honest, I could live in her head for more than the 3 books of this trilogy. (Unlike some books I’ve read where being in the main character has me bordering on a mental breakdown.) There’s this really authentic teenage embarrassment with her that is so refreshing -

*** HERE BE SPOILERS – (LITTLE ONES) ***

AKA, when Paige gets embarrassed about admitting she’s on her period, the totally embarrassing, but completely teenage way that she and her friends act when they stand up to Ashley, and yes, even Nathan’s cringe-worthy moment during food shopping with the frozen apple pie. All things that silly teenagers would do and then be completely embarrassed about, but laugh at, when they’re older.

*** SPOILERS ARE OVER! WooHoo! ***

Let me just say that I love, love, love Nathan. Yes, he’s hot and funny and sweet and kind. But he’s mysterious too. He’s charming and I really get the sense that he’s trying to look out for Paige, while she’s dealing with things she doesn’t understand. And as I write this, I’m only a few chapters in, so let me also say that I am totally intrigued by the cat! I want to know more about it. I’ve never once said that about a cat before, but it’s true. It’s interesting, it’s twisty, like it’s going to have a real impact on the story and I can’t wait to find out more. I have my suspicions about what (aka. who) it might be, but I’m not going to say. I don’t want to give anything away, if I’m right. But I also don’t want to give you ideas, if I’m wrong. Read the book and you can make up your own mind, as you read it.

Update: After reading more, and finding out what the cat and Nathan are really about, I’m only loving it even more. I was wrong, I’ll admit that, but I don’t care. I absolutely hate to put this book down. To be honest, I don’t like Matt. I don’t think I’m supposed to, which is great, because no matter how I tried, I am never going to like him. I’m with Nathan and Tree on this, I’d happily kick his ass any time of the day. I have to say though that I really find the bad Matt, aka The Old One ridiculously funny and interesting. He’s not your typical bad boy, but he’s also not one of those dual personality people either. If it weren’t for Nathan being so incredible delicious, I’d have a book crush on The Old One, no matter how gross it might turn out to be later.

I also have to mention the awesomeness of Nathan and Paige’s relationship. I knew from the get-go that they would end up together, but it’s so refreshing to see a relationship between the two Main Characters that isn’t perfect or sunshine and daisies. They argue, seriously and have disagreements like every normal couple in the world. (Except those in romance novels, apparently.) I also really like the dynamic the story takes on once they’re together. The relationship doesn’t seem separate from the plot or just a touch of romance to lighten the mood. It’s really a driving force that carries the story on, gives you information and causes trouble. It’s great.

This book is funny, light, but serious too. Insightful, intriguing and overall a page turner. There isn’t anything I don’t like about this book. (No, not even Matt. Every book needs a bad guy.) I’m interested to see how the whole Cassie and Tree story is going to go. I have a feeling it’s going to be important, even if it’s only to introduce how evil Matt can really be. I’m also very much liking the hint that there’s something more going on with him than it seems; it’s a little bit of suspense to keep us interested in this only infrequently seen character. I love the history of his background, and the story, and the archaeological aspect that is introduced because of him. It’s a real hook for me, a history lover, to see real history wound so well with imagination in a believable way.

The fact that I can be completely convinced that Dark Spirits are real, that immortality is possible and that it all revolves around Solomon is the mark of a great author, telling a great, realistic story in the most unique, imaginative book I’ve read in this genre for a long time.