Elaine White's Life in Books

Book – Dark Indiscretions #2: Monsters Unleashed
Author – Shakuita Johnson
Star rating – ★★★★☆
Plot – good, unique
Characters – good variety, could use more exploration
Movie Potential – ★★★★☆ – a lot of swearing and sex
Ease of reading – very easy to read
Cover – ✔
Suitable Title – ✔
Would I read it again – ✔

** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK, BY THE AUTHOR, IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW **

I really enjoyed Book 1, so since I had already been gifted a copy of book 2, I was eager to jump straight into it. This is the type of trilogy that leaves you hanging by your fingertips on a cliff edge at the end of every book. So let me just say now that if you don’t like cliffhangers, then you won’t like this series, because they’re all over the place. None more so than at the end of each book.

But, let’s get to the story.

Like Book 1, there are one or two niggles that I’ve noticed. I’m in edit mode right now with my own stories, so it makes it more obvious to me. But it’s just little things like using ‘defiantly’ instead of ‘definitely’, and ‘tanner’ instead of ‘tanned’, both of which could be auto-correct errors.

The other little niggle is that at the top of Chapter 3, it takes us a little while to realise that we’re back in the past, in one of Jenny’s flashbacks. It would have helped to have a little ‘Flashback’, or ‘In whatever year’ at the top, just so that we had an instant realisation that we were going back. While I was reading it, I started off thinking I’d missed something because she was talking about trusting a man and it didn’t fit with the last thing we’d seen of her. However, it only took half a page to get me back on track, but it would have been less confusing with some warning.

Also, there’s this moment in the present when Nathaniel tells Jenny he’s going to explain how he’s survived so long and what happened after she left his house all those centuries or whatever ago. But he doesn’t. He briefly explains that his brother shows up, but we don’t get any explanation why or what happened next. His brother never leaves, so we don’t know what happens with that, and we also don’t find out if Jenny left in time or not, because we never saw her leave either. It seems unfinished, and I can only hope that Book 3 will tie off the loose ends.

As for the story, I really enjoyed it. It was very similar to read as the first book, which is a bonus because it felt as it they had been written side by side. I still love my Nathan and Tazer, and my Jackson and Taylor. They’re my boys and that’s not going to change. However, I really didn’t like Krista in this one. I get that she went through a lot in Book 1, but considering how strong a Mystic is supposed to be, you’d think she would have more resilience, from being Jenny’s daughter. After all, look at everything Jenny’s been through and she’s not a jumped up wacko. But, I also get that Krista isn’t like her mother. She got most of her genes, unfortunately, from her father and that explains a heck of a lot.

I really enjoyed getting to see more of the twin Oracles, and finding out about the Mooyers. That was a whole side of the story I didn’t see coming. I actually thought at the end that Isabelle and Alexander might get together in Book 3, then whammo, in came James and the whole story turned on its head for me. As far as I’m concerned, Book 3 is going to be the best of the bunch and the story is going to twist like a tornado in every chapter.

There are some awesome surprises and plot twists in this book and I look forward to readig Book 3, but there was one really big thing that didn’t sit well with me: it ended too soon! It feels like we’ve ended in the middle of a chapter or paragraph. I get that it’s a cliffhanger, but it makes my teeth itch to have to wait to find out what’s going to happen.