Elaine White's Life in Books

The Reviewer

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

The Wolfing Way

The Wolfing Way - Susan Laine Book – The Wolfing Way (Lifting the Veil #1)
Author – Susan Laine
Star rating - ★★★★★
No. of Pages - 114

Movie Potential - ★★★★★ (This would make an awesome movie!)
Ease of reading – very easy to read and follow
Would I read it again – Definitely!

I'm a sucker for a good series, especially when it involves fated mates or supernatural creatures. This one didn't disappoint. I've been in love with the book covers for this entire series ever since I first saw them. They are magical in their own way and supremely tempting.

~

For those who follow my reviews, you'll know that I generally divide up my notes into Plot, Characters and an Overall sense of the story. I don't need to do that here. In fact, I don't need to say very much.

The story was fantastic, from beginning to end. There wasn't one thing I didn't love about it. Kris, our human MC, reacts the way any other sane person would react to finding out that they were mated to a werewolf against their choice. He's angry, he's irritable and he fights it for as long as he can. In the same way, he's feisty and smart enough to figure things out in his own time. Rafe is just as uncertain, but more trusting in the mate bond and what it can do for people. Having spent two centuries searching for his mate, you an really feel his desperation and sadness, when Kris doesn't want anything to do with him. Then they have their phone conversation, which had me smiling all the way through to the end, and you see a spark of hope for Rafe and Kris readjusting his preconceptions.

I kind of love Isaiah's protectiveness towards Kris, as his brother, but I also cringed every time that he caused more problems, just as Kris was starting to figure things out. I think the idea of the whole two families getting together for a week and hashing things out between them is genius.

The entire concept of the plot, the way it's written and executed, the chemistry that is so simply but well portrayed is excellent. I could feel every moment of excitement, hope, sadness and pain from both main characters. There were no information dumps, because this strange new world was introduced to use gradually, in a way that meant information was given only as and when it was appropriate. The world building and characterisation was unique and wonderful.

Quite honestly, I was so hynotised by the entire story that I barely made any notes as I went along. Everything I highlighted was quotes of brilliant writing moments or amazing dialogue that had me laughing or crying.

This is a true gem and one I'll be turning to again, whenever I need a pick-me-up.

~

FAVOURITE QUOTE

“Nearly fainting at the tender taunting in Rafe's voice, Kris was dying to exclaim that Rafe was all that Kris had ever dreamed of – and more. But surely it was too soon for declarations of that sort...”

“Tonight he had almost lost his mate.
No. He had almost lost Kris – and lost him because Kris was his mate.
The thought crushed all the hope he had within his soul of ever being with his mate.”