Elaine White's Life in Books

The Reviewer

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

Patience

Patience - Grace R. Duncan Book – Patience (Forbes Mates #2)
Author – Grace R. Duncan
Star rating - ★★★★★
No. of Pages - 230

Movie Potential – ★★★★★
Ease of reading – very easy to read; few mistakes
Would I read it again – Yes!!

** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK, BY THE AUTHOR, IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW **
Reviewed for Divine Magazine

Again, just as book 1 in this series, this book was a total triumph.

~

I genuinely loved seeing Jamie again, though I wasn't too keen on him in the previous book. That all made sense by the Epilogue of book 1, so I was intrigued as to how I'd feel about him in his own book. I wasn't disappointed. He went from flirtatious, pushy and brash to a one eighty switch of nervous, jealous and scared, with a hint of his feisty personality to boot.

To me, Jamie is more insecure than the previous book, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. He opens up more around Chad, revealing that softer layer and being most honest about his pain and hesitations. In return, Chad accepts what he knows, feels and sees easily, which didn't really seem strange at all, even before we get the explanation of his history.

Chad was a great mate. The way they met and the way Chad went along with it was brilliant. To see him bonding with Murray, the “dog”, was adorable and really gave me a sense of how lonely he was, but also allowed them to form a real bond, without ever really knowing each other. The entire idea of Jamie being stuck as a “dog” was original and brilliant! It gave them bonding time without pressure or expectation, but also gave a glimpse into the human world, after we'd spent all the previous book in the shifter world. It also gave us time to appreciate just how vulnerable and scared Jamie really is, in terms of finding his destined mate.

The first half the book is really funny. The dog thing and the way Chad and Jamie are with each other, all had me smiling or giggling to myself in glee. Later, the second half becomes more serious and more about their fears, as they navigate this unknown world of a wolf and human mate.

I have very few complaints, but what I did notice was a theme in the series:
both books have an almost identical conversation about knotting and pregnancy, after sex.
the use of sayings that is very unusual: example, “end-all, be-all”. The real saying is “the be-all and end-all”. Just like the word “shittered” was used in book 1, which I've never heard before. It may be a dialect/regional/US thing, but either way, the instances were a little odd and disconcerting.
the epilogues introduce the couple that will be the MC's of the next book, while staying true to the current story.

The travelling was a little repetitive and made the story flag a little. It began with a good pace, keeping me entertained and glued to my reading until around the 50% mark, where the travelling became very same-y and then picked up again at the 70% mark, to return to the strong, well planned pace.

Going back to the positives, there is such good detail about everything that's important – the medical information, the scenery, the travelling and the library. Everything was very well thought out. Again, I really loved the detail and the use of Gods that were identifiable in the shifter history, using them as a basis for the “fates” that are usually left unnamed, but responsible for mate bonds.

~

OVERALL

I really loved it. There were one or two small things that didn't work, as mentioned above, but overall it was a fantastic read and I'll be pre-ordering every book still to come in this series. I can't wait to read Miles' story, in the next book.

Grace R. Duncan has just become an instant-buy for me.

FAVOURITE QUOTE

“Jamie let his worries and fears out, his budding feelings and fledgling dreams, putting all of it into the kiss and the care of his mate. The emotions he got back from Chad took his breath away.
When they broke apart, their eyes met, Chad's wide. “Mate,” he whispered in awe.
Jamie swallowed and nodded, reaching up and cupping Chad's face. “Mate.””