Elaine White's Life in Books

The Author

The Reviewer

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

The Christmas Mansion (sweet gay romance)

The Christmas Mansion (sweet gay romance) - Hollis Shiloh This was okay. There were some really cute parts, as it's more of a sweet romance than hot, but there were still problems, for me.

Despite my Kindle deleting all my notes, I can still remember the problems from last night's reading - namely that the story hints at being "historical" all the way through, even in the blurb, yet the only thing even remotely historical about it is the fact that they use gas lights and horse drawn carriages. And the mention of a magician is such a small factor in the plot that it could have been missed out entirely and the story wouldn't have been affected. To me, it read as a contemporary story - everyone was wearing jeans, talking in modern speech, and men were dancing with and kissing other men out in the open, flirting with perfect strangers, without the slightest hint of being caught or it not being the "norm", as it would in a historical. For me, I might have believed it more without the magical aspect and the historical attempts, because they just didn't fit the story.

I liked the characters. They were decent, if not as explored as I would normally like. For the length of the story, it was adequate. I had a problem with the insta-love issue, but other than that, it was a decent read and I'd read more by the author in the future.