Elaine White's Life in Books

The Reviewer

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

Facts About Me: Interview

What can you tell me about yourself?

I'm an author and reader equally, because I'm a firm believer in that you can't be an author if you don't read. I always find that I'm inspired by the most surprising things, so I love to keep all avenues open, when it comes to being creative.

I'm a geek, with a fandom and book obsession and a mild collector's problem. I am not a hoarder, though I'm pretty sure I would be if I had the money to afford it. Books don't count.

I've got an addiction personality, so when I write then I usually write a lot. When I edit, I edit a few books in a row and, similarly, when I read, I tend to read for about two weeks straight. It's the way I function; I get in the mood for something and just keep following that mood until it breaks.

Where do you see yourself five years from now?

Hopefully still writing. Maybe a little fitter and slimmer? That would be great. Being disabled means that it's hard to beat the medication-induced weight, and being a writer who sits for 90% of my day really doesn't help. I'm trying to break some bad habits this year, so my hope is that they're completely broken 5 years from now. I should, at least, have made a decent headway into getting more books published and more books off my TBR. Right now, like every other day, reading and writing is my main priority.

What are you working on at the minute?

I've got a lot of projects on the go, right now, but I'm currently writing (what I think is) a really cute story about a male nanny. It's called Unmasked and it's 18+. It's all about Bennett, who is out of work and takes a recommendation to become a nanny, since he has the interest and the academic credits to do it. What he doesn't expect is for the father interviewing him to be the same man he had a one night stand with just a short time before. The ensuing chaos has been really fun to write, since I don't really add kids to my 18+ stories that much. They've certainly made it far more interesting.

Do you let the book stew – leave it for a month and then come back to it to edit?

I'm a weird writer. I don't seem to fit any of the stereotypes or 'styles' that others do. After a book is completed, I let it sit for a few weeks or months then come back to edit it, then leave it for a few more months before editing it again and again and again. I like to do about 10 edits before I submit it to any publishers, just because I know I struggle with editing and want it to be perfect. But when it comes to writing a book, there are times when I hit a block and reading back what I've already written is the only way to keep going, but there are also times when I zip straight through from page one to The End without stopping and don't edit it for months. I especially like to do this if I'm going to be writing a series one after the other. Then I'll stop at the end or when I get stuck, to go back and refresh what's happened before.

For your own reading, do you prefer e-books or traditional paper/hard back books?

Definitely e-books. I have weak muscles and nerves in my hands/wrists/arms, so holding a paperback or hardback can be far too painful to do it too often. I'm a sucker for a good bargain, though, so if I can get a paperback or hardback cheaper than the e-book, to suit my budget, I'll definitely not hesitate to buy it. It just means that I have to plan my reading of that book for when I know I won't be doing much else.

Pen or typewriter or computer?

Oh God! Computer! Definitely. For the same reasons as above, a pen or typewriter would kill me! Sometimes a laptop is just as bad, but I've really fallen in love with my new one, the Samsung Tab Pro S. It's smaller than I'm used to, but that means the keys are a little closer together, leaving me to do much less stretching across the board to reach the keys I want. Even if I keep missing the 'k' for no reason I can fathom.

Do you write Alone or in public?

Alone. I can write with just one or two people in the room, but it generally has to be really quite for me to work. I don't like music or noise when I'm writing, since I usually end up distracted and sing along more than I write. In the right atmosphere – my comfy chair, feet up, food/drink nearby, the dog settled, no noise and alone in the house – I can get chapters and chapters written in a day. Or spend it on Facebook. Either way, it's how I function best.

Goals of certain # of words a week or when inspiration strikes?

Oh, nope. I could never constrict myself to a set number of words. It would drive me insane. Although I plan the vague outline of my plot – the who, the why, the how and the when – as well as a few specific conversations/events I want to happen, I'm a pantser. I can either write thousands of words a day or two sentences. Either way, I believe in following the muse and never putting shackles on her. I would either be constantly kicking myself for not meeting a deadline word count or I'd get too confident about over-reaching it.

~

Elaine White is the author of multi-genre romance, covering everything from paranormal, crime and contemporary. Growing up in a small town and fighting cancer in her early teens taught her that life is short and dreams should be pursued. Living vicariously through her independent, and often hellion characters, she lives comfortably at home with a pack of wolves cleverly disguised as one standard poodle.

The Winner of two Watty Awards – Collector's Dream (An Unpredictable Life) and Hidden Gem (Faithfully) – and an Honourable Mention in 2016's Rainbow Awards (A Royal Craving) she has explored the worlds of multiple genres but remains a romantic at heart. A self-professed geek, Elaine has fallen in love with reading and writing LGBT romance, offering diversity in both genre and character within her stories.

You can keep in touch with Elaine on the following sites:

Facebook Goodreads Website