Elaine White's Life in Books

The Reviewer

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

Facts About Me: Interview Part 2

What are you working on at the minute?

I've got a lot of projects on the go, right now, but I'm currently writing (what I think is) a really cute story about a male nanny. It's called Unmasked and it's 18+. It's all about Bennett, who is out of work and takes a recommendation to become a nanny, since he has the interest and the academic credits to do it. What he doesn't expect is for the father interviewing him to be the same man he had a one night stand with just a short time before. The ensuing chaos has been really fun to write, since I don't really add kids to my 18+ stories that much. They've certainly made it far more interesting.

Do you let the book stew – leave it for a month and then come back to it to edit?

I'm a weird writer. I don't seem to fit any of the stereotypes or 'styles' that others do. After a book is completed, I let it sit for a few weeks or months then come back to edit it, then leave it for a few more months before editing it again and again and again. I like to do about 10 edits before I submit it to any publishers, just because I know I struggle with editing and want it to be perfect. But when it comes to writing a book, there are times when I hit a block and reading back what I've already written is the only way to keep going, but there are also times when I zip straight through from page one to The End without stopping and don't edit it for months. I especially like to do this if I'm going to be writing a series one after the other. Then I'll stop at the end or when I get stuck, to go back and refresh what's happened before.

For your own reading, do you prefer e-books or traditional paper/hard back books?

Definitely e-books. I have weak muscles and nerves in my hands/wrists/arms, so holding a paperback or hardback can be far too painful to do it too often. I'm a sucker for a good bargain, though, so if I can get a paperback or hardback cheaper than the e-book, to suit my budget, I'll definitely not hesitate to buy it. It just means that I have to plan my reading of that book for when I know I won't be doing much else.