Elaine White's Life in Books

The Reviewer

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

Facts About Me: The 90s

I'm a total child of the 90's. I was born in 1986, so the 90's were everything to me. Hanson made me bop to Mmmbop, then stole my heart with “With You in Your Dreams.” I shouted “Roger!” along with Sister, Sister; I sang “Shake You Whammy Fanny, Funky Song, Funky Song” along with Sabrina the Teenage Witch. And I STILL do those things, now that I'm 30-ish. And I will ALWAYS do those things when the mood takes me. Because those were important times, my pivotal growing years, and those stay with you longer than any other era of your life.

I still think that “I Got Soul” is one of the best charity songs of the 90's, and the Spice Girls rule forever! I still think Buffy the Vampire Slayer is the best vampire TV show on the planet. Sweet Valley High were the first teen-fiction books I ever read, and I wish I'd bought them instead of loaning them from the library, because I would kill to re-read them (but they're either very expensive or impossible to get your hands on, these days) I still know all the words to All Saint's “Never Ever”. I still know the names of every member of A1, Boyzone, Westlife, 5ive, N'Sync, Backstreet Boys, and all the big boy bands of the day. In fact, I was one of the only people at a Boyzone concern to know who the opening act of Next of Kin were. True story! And, I knew (then) and know (now) all the words to their only hit.

(Oh, and you're welcome for the constant run of “Shake You Whammy Fanny, Funky Song, Funky Song” that is now stuck in your head. And mine.)

P.S. If you want to check out some of my favourite 90's tunes, including some cheese-tastic hits from Mandy Moore, The Moffats, Amy Studt, Billie Piper, and Robson & Jerome, check out my soundtrack for The Bright Side Brigade. It is 90's pop ALL over!