Elaine White's Life in Books

The Reviewer

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

Facts About Me: Writing Habits

I've had a lot of people tell me, over the years, that my writing schedule is unrealistic. They give a lot of reasons, but I know what works for me and what doesn't. So, here's a list of my do's and don't's for myself:

Do's

• write for as long as I have the inspiration
  • make time for writing, when I'm in the mood, rather than watching the TV
  • make a cover before I start writing
  • have my start, at the least, planned out

Don't

• write if I'm not feeling it
  • force a story when it's not working
  • plan the story from A-B, every inch, before I start writing
  • let distractions get in the way - no music, TV, background noise

I'm not a planner, at all. I'm a pantser and it works for me. I've written an entire book in 8 days, I've written a book in one month, and I've got some stories that have been works in progress for years. It's all a matter of having the time to get it done, being uninterrupted, and having the inspiration to get from start to finish.

So often, I've had the amazing flow of inspiration to write a book, but I've had to put it aside to meet other deadlines. Or, while writing a book that I'm 100% into, I'll get the inspiration for another book, which totally takes my mind away, distracting me. And that's all it takes to get a book from partway done to sitting untouched for months on end.

There have been times where I've written a book so quickly - in a matter of days or weeks - and I get to the halfway point, when I suddenly burn out. I lack the inspiration to keep going, I know the ending perfectly (which ruins the flow, for me) or I have another deadline interrupt, and suddenly I have a half completed book that gets abandoned and left for months, maybe even years, without being completed.

Here are a couple of in-the-works projects:

You may notice that some of these books are part of a series. That's my curse: I often get 1 or 2 books in a series flooded out of me, but then I get distracted, redirected, or busy, and it all comes crashing down.

Either way, I love being able to take my time with a story, to get it right and to work on the story until I'm happy with it. It's why I don't work to a deadline, word count limit, or give myself time limits. I like my story to speak for itself. To tell me how it's going to work, and when it's going to end.