Elaine White is the author of multi-genre MM romance, celebrating 'love is love' and offering diversity in both genre and character within her stories.
Growing up in a small town and fighting cancer in her early teens taught her that life is short and dreams should be pursued. She lives vicariously through her independent, and often hellion characters, exploring all possibilities within the romantic universe.
The Winner of two Watty Awards – Collector's Dream (An Unpredictable Life) and Hidden Gem (Faithfully) – and an Honourable Mention in 2016's Rainbow Awards (A Royal Craving) Elaine is a self-professed geek, reading addict, and a romantic at heart.
I’m an author and reader, who just can’t get away from books. I discovered the MM genre a few years ago and became addicted.
Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine
You'll probably have noticed by now that I tend to re-brand a few of my posters/mock covers every other year or so. As I was saying to someone recently, this is for two reasons:
I also have a few goes at creating a brand for the book before it's ever submitted to my publisher. I do this by creating mock covers, which I use in Calibre to create e-books of my WIP's. That way I can upload them to my Kindle app and read them "as a reader" and do some proper editing and note taking, before doing the final edit. As I've said in previous posts, I can edit a book anywhere up to 20 times before sending it to the editor, so it's handy to have a mock cover to test out, every time I upload the new version. I look at how it appears on my Kindle app, how the colours appear, whether I get bored of the image, and how easy the text is to read. This is all important to consider for the final cover, but also for the teaser posters. I always try to link my mock covers and teaser posters into one brand, so that the mock covers - when the final book has been published - can be used as teaser posters, which means they're not going to waste.
So, there's a lot to consider when it comes to branding a book. It's not just about the appearance, it's also about the relevance of the brand/image to the book, the themes of the book, the 'vibe' of the book, the genre, even the characters. And it all comes together into something that has to 100% represent the book, in the end.
Which is why I often rebrand. Sometimes a new book is added to the series that adds a new element, or I find a new "perfect" font or image that just is the book, perfectly. Mostly, I try to keep the brand the same, even if I end up completely remaking all of my teaser posters - something I'm doing, right now. For instance, I've always used "storytelling" images for the Decadent series, the Cacodemon trilogy and for The Trade. I've always used military themed or male portrait close-up images for Forged in Fire, and I've always had a chess theme for The Royal Series, and a professional, businessman theme for Following Orders. The Cellist and Clef Notes have always been music related. You can see that that has never changed, no matter how many times I've rebranded the teaser posters. These are the specific "brand" for those books, even if the theme and style of the posters changes.
The reason for my most recent change is simple. Instagram. Instagram prefer square images, and because of the changes to the Later app (which I use to schedule my Instagram posts) you can now auto-post any square image. So, to make my life easier, I've adapted all of my previously portrait posters into square images. But, you can't just crop them. The images and text don't always line up, and sometimes they look really weird, or they cut out the previous "brand" theme. To make them look professional, I decided to remake them entirely. With new images, new quotes, and a new look.
Canva, was another reason for the change. Since I started using Canva to make my images, (you can find the How To Use Canva post here) I found that once you make one poster, say the Instagram template, you can "copy" that into a second page in the same document. And you can have 30 pages in one document. So, even for my longer series like Decadent - which is 6 books in total - I can make ALL of my teasers for those books in one document, making 5 posters for each book without having to leave the page, without having to remember what font I used, what size it was, or anything. I was bale to simply copy the first poster, change the text, change the image, and move the elements around until it looked good, and them move on to the next. Then, once I was finished, I could download ALL of the posters at once, into a single zip file. It was so much easier than creating one image at a time in Picmonkey, which was my old method.
Here, I'm going to show you some images that I've changed this year. You'll probably be able to see for yourself that they're clearer, easier to read, and have a greater visual impact.
Sometimes, rebranding is a matter of making your life easier rather than changing something for the sake of changing it. So, always take a look at your promo. If YOU get bored of seeing the images, of reading the same quotes from your books over and over again, then your readers will be bored too. So change it up. Changing your quote is fine, but remember that your regular followers/readers will have associated the image/style with your previous quote, so if they see the exact same poster, they'll assume it's the exact same quote. So it might be better to just redo the entire poster.
And remember to keep track of your results. You'll see from Instagram, Facebook and Twitter insights what posters work, what times they have their best effect, and whether those insights match the results of your sales/link clicks (for links such as SmartURL). Adding those together will let you know when your posters work, and which ones you need to fix.