Elaine White's Life in Books

The Reviewer

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

Facts About Me: How to Find Lost Posts on Facebook

We all do it. We're browsing FB, procrastinating or waiting for a bus, an appt or just giving ourselves a break and we come across something interesting. Before we can do anything about what we've found other than watch the video, leave a comment, tag someone, we've forgotten who posted it, what group it was in, or we're filling out a document and we need an exact date when we did X, Y, Z. Or maybe it's been weeks since you posted it and you want to check to make sure that you didn't miss a notification, or add a 'bump' to remind people about it.

We store our entire lives on FB, so it's not surprising that this can be a handy tool to keep us organised in life. Recently, I filled out a medical form where I needed the exact date of my dad's stroke last year. I turned straight to FB. It sounds nuts, but I knew that I'd posted an update for our family who weren't local, so I simply went into my personal profile, typed in stroke, and browsed the results to find the date of his first stroke. Easy.

Here's how you can keep yourself more organised, too.

Whether it's a cute video you wanted to repost, something you wanted to stash so you could add it to your blog or show that friend who does craft things, maybe it was a video that was NSFW so you had to save it for later, when you were alone ;) Whatever it was, there are TWO key ways to find what you've lost on FB. However, if it's something that you barely had time to blink at before FB refreshed, then you're on your own. Unless you watched a couple of minutes of the video or left a comment, there's no way you're finding that sucker again, unless you know who posted it and are willing to scroll their entire feed. Sorry.

Method 1) Check "my activity."
If you posted through your personal profile, go to your page then click "activity log" (right on your cover image) and it will give you a list of things you "liked" or "commented on", videos you watched, hidden posts etc.
There is an entire list on the left side for you to choose from, to help you find what you're looking for. You can also utilise the search option, if you're not sure what it was, but you have a keyword to look for. (e.g. see above)

Method 2) Save the post.
I have done this more this year than ever before and it's really helpful. No matter what post it is, who posted it, or what group it's in, there are three little dots on the top right of the post. Click them and choose "save post". The best time to do this is the minute you see it and know you want to come back to it, otherwise FB might have other plans by refreshing before you get the chance.
To find your saved post, go to your home page (the easiest method) and right under Shortcuts, you'll find Explore. Saved Posts should be the top result. Click it, and there are all your saved posts. You can clean this out regularly, to keep important stuff easier to find, or you can create Collections, to divide up your saves into easily organised folders, like "Cat Videos" or "Promo Material" or "Must Have It!" etc.