Elaine White's Life in Books

The Reviewer

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

Facts About Me: Pacing Myself

Before 2018, my quickest time for writing a full novel was one month. Then, this year, I managed a whopping 8 days! That was a full novel, of 100k word count, that needed very little editing, all in 8 days.

And I would never do it again.

As great as it was to get the words out of my head, because it was haunting every moment of my waking/sleeping life until I got it out my system, it also killed me. I was utterly exhausted by the time I finished. All creativity was gone. I was over-tired from very little sleep, and I felt as though I may never write again, I was so completely disinterested in writing another book.

I tried to make myself write the sequel after a week's break, but it was a no go. Then I gave myself a month off and tried again. I got a dozen chapters written, but even now – a few months later – I don't feel like they do the story justice.

It was only this month, October, that inspiration once again hit me like a lightning bolt. The story had already existed in 1-2 pages of notes, but the story was by far set or secure. In fact, it had a beginning concept, but no middle or end, and I had only the barest information about the characters or the general plot.

Within the first 3 days, I'd written about 10 pages of notes, including detailed character references, chapter headings, made a mock cover, designed a logo, and created promotional banners. In between all of that, I did a little writing. About a chapter, all in all.

Once all the design concepts were finished, that was when I really got a good crack at writing. Only, this time around, I knew that I needed to take a break, to procrastinate a little throughout the day, to make sure I didn't end up back where I started.

I still managed to write nearly 150k of "The Boys Who Didn't Love Me" in just 17 days.

Writing a complete novel in so short a time is great, especially when the story needs little editing afterwards, but when it interferes with your physical and mental health, then even as an author you have to take a step back and reevaluate what a completed story is really worth.