Elaine White's Life in Books

The Reviewer

Top #50 UK reviewer on Goodreads
#1 reviewer on Divine Magazine

Facts About Me: Self Promo

I detest promoting myself, but it's a necessary evil. Promoting yourself is one of the hardest things a published author will ever have to do, in my opinion. There's a fine line between promoting yourself and screaming “buy my book” at anyone you come across, in real life or on social media. It's hard to find that line, at first, but it's also rewarding when you find how to find a promotional schedule that works for you.

I'm an introvert, which makes it even more awkward. An awkward, introverted, loner, loser, who has no life outside of books. And I have no problem with that. When I'm not writing, I'm reading. I'm also disabled, so going out isn't really something I do. I'm a homebird, through and through, so I don't go a lot of places, see a lot of people, or do anything exciting that I can share with my readers or followers, like some other authors. I don't have a flamboyant personality and I wouldn't know how to fake it, if I tried, so there's another barrier between me and my readers.

I'm a thinker. A planner. A reader. And nothing about me, as a person, screams “social butterfly” so it's hard for me to connect to people I can't physically be in the room with. I do my best, by trying to make my social media pages at least interesting – sharing my love of all things Marvel, Harry Potter, geek, Black Butler, and memes. I try to show as much of ME as I can, to show *some* personality, outside of what books I'm currently fangirling over.

But, I do believe it's important to be true to who I am. So, even though I find it hard and awkward, and sometimes uncomfortable, to share bits of me with the people who care enough to follow me, I do what I can and I share what I've got to share. Because my readers share their valuable time with me, by reading my books or following my pages, and it's the least I can do in return.