elainewhite359

Elaine White's Life in Books

I love reading, and as a writer I like to broaden my scope by reading outside of my comfort zone, so that I can learn more about my craft.

Baron of Blood: 1 (Dawning Era Series)
C. N. Faust
All Our Foolish Schemes: The Creepers Saga Book 2
Raymond Esposito
Fright Radio
Noel Dandes
A Dark Heart (The Elders and Welders Chronicles)
Margaret Foxe
Prince of Hearts: The Elders and Welders Chronicles Bk. 1
Margaret Foxe
Young Love Murder (Young Assassins 1)
April Brookshire
Before the Full Moon Rises: 1 (Chronicles of the Secret Prince)
MJ Bell
Once Upon a Darker Time
M.J. Bell
Guardian of Souls
Lee Appleby
In the Beginning
Abby L. Vandiver

Review: Driven

Book – Driven (Book 2, Discovered series)
Author – R.S. Novelle
Star rating – ★★☆☆
Would I read it again – No.
Plot – The same as Book 1.
Characters – the same as Book 1.
Movie Potential – ★★☆☆
Ease of reading – easy to read.

**I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK, BY THE AUTHOR, IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW**

This book was a bit of an enigma to me. I wasn’t sure about the whole concept of Book 2 in a series being the exact same story as Book 1, just told from another character’s point of view. I think since that character wasn’t featured much in Book 1, it could have worked, which is why this book gets 3 stars. Because although it could have worked, it just didn’t. Not for me.

Driven is very much the same as Calculated in a lot of ways. The same story, the same killer, the same characters, the same use of excess description, only with a few more flaws.

Let me just say this – there is NOTHING wrong with the writer, the style of writing or the genre. The only thing I don’t enjoy about these two books is that they’re not for me. I know, from reading them that other will enjoy them, but they’re just not my cup of tea. I was raised on crime thrillers, mystery dramas etc, and I’ve studied forensics and the likes. Because of that, I found the story quite predictable and not as exciting as it should have been. This could be entirely my fault, as I’m too used to the genre and theme to really be taken by surprise. Very few crime books manage to really kick me in the gut and take me on a journey. That’s just how it is.

Unfortunately, this book was one of those that didn’t work for me. The swearing was excess to what was necessary and since we already know the story from Book 1 (which I already didn’t really enjoy that much) it was a bit same-old, same-old.

I actually found that I liked the main character, Mara, even LESS than I liked the main character, Ana, of Calculated. I didn’t want to like her and I already knew what she’d done and why, so I was even less inclined to want to care about her than usual. The same can be said for the other characters: I just didn’t care about them, as I said about Calculated’s cast. It was really just like reading Book 1 again, but with an even more selfish, hateful main character that I couldn’t relate to.

For me, what would really have made this duo so much more exciting to read, was if the killer wasn’t revealed in book 1. If we left Calculated, with the story unsolved, knowing there was a Book 2, I wouldn’t have minded at all. Then, seeing Mara’s side of things in Book 2 would have really shocked the socks off me, even if I hadn’t enjoyed Book 1. I think the author missed out on a great opportunity to be shocking and add an extra twist to the series, with this move.

Saying that, I did give the author an extra star for this one, for being brave enough to try it. Telling the same story again, from the criminal’s point of view is an interesting and intriguing choice. It could have worked amazingly well, but for me, there was just that sense of surprise lacking.

I look forward to reading more from this author. This series might not have been for me, but I do appreciate the style and the skill of her writing. The ideas are clever and unique to what I’ve read before, it just turns out that this series didn’t excite me enough to want to care about it. I’m sure that whatever she comes out with next will be a stunner.